Field Sobriety Tests
Need a Trusted OUI Lawyer in Massachusetts? Call (413) 258-7371!
Law enforcement officers conduct field sobriety tests to help determine if the suspected individual is too intoxicated to safely operate a vehicle. There are a number of tests an officer can use to help gauge the sobriety of a driver who is suspected of operating under the influence.
These tests include:
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) Test: The citizen may be asked to follow a slowly moving object, usually a pen, with his/her eyes.
- Alphabet Recitation: The citizen may be asked to recite the alphabet, to test mental alertness.
- Walk-And-Turn Test: The citizen may be asked to walk nine steps, one foot directly in front of the other, and then turn and repeat nine steps back to the start. This test checks balance and coordination, and determines the driver's ability to follow direction and remember the steps requested.
- One-Leg Stand Test: The citizen may be asked to stand on foot with their arms at their sides while counting out loud. This tests mental alertness, balance, and ability to remember and follow directions.
The results of a field sobriety test can lead an officer to arrest a driver for an OUI.
Have you been arrested after "failing" a field sobriety test? Don't wait to call (413) 258-7371! Our firm is ready to help you.
The Flaws of Field Sobriety Tests
An experienced Massachusetts lawyer can help you challenge an OUI charge that resulted from a field sobriety test. There are a number of factors that could contribute to the unreliability of your field sobriety test.
This can include the following and more:
- Physical characteristics such as your age or weight
- Your current health
- Geographical landscape (such as a slop or slant)
- Learning disability or other disability
Lack of education could also make it difficult for you to correctly complete certain tasks, and nerves, weather, and roadside conditions can also be detrimental distractions. It is important to enlist the services of a knowledgeable attorney who understands the law and can help you fight OUI charges received after a field sobriety test.
Get Serious Representation for Serious Criminal Charges
In Massachusetts, OUI convictions carry heavy penalties, and you should never take these charges lightly. We have represented clients in OUI cases for 20+ collective years, and we may be able to help you fight intoxicated driving charges based on a field sobriety test or chemical test. We have been trained and certified to administer the Standardized Field Sobriety Test, which allows us to examine your case and charges and find any problems with the test you were given. We have also done many speaking arrangements and been recognized as an authority in this area.
Our firm can work with you to create a comprehensive defense strategy. We are committed to providing each client with the detailed attention they deserve. You cannot risk your freedoms; call our firm today to discuss your case!